Norridge Divorce Lawyer
While deciding to get married can be as simple as signing a legal document that recognizes your relationship as a valid and legal union, getting a divorce is not nearly as straightforward. In fact, couples cannot just divorce in Norridge and Illinois without going through a specific process that requires the couple to come to an agreement regarding various issues in a divorce, and pay specific divorce fees. With that in mind, our Norridge divorce lawyers at the Law Offices of Gordon & Perlut, LLC are ready to provide you with counsel and guidance.
Navigating Your Norridge Divorce
If you and/or your spouse would like to divorce in Illinois, it’s important that you understand the requirements for ending a marriage. These include:
- Residency requirements. In order to file for a divorce in Norridge, you or your spouse must be a resident of Illinois (defined as living within the state for a time period of no less than 90 days).
- Grounds for filing. You cannot just file for divorce in Illinois; you must state the grounds on which you are seeking the dissolution of your marriage. While Illinois used to recognize fault-based grounds for divorce, including impotency, bigamy, adultery, and more, divorces today are filed on no-fault grounds. A no-fault divorce claims that the marriage is “irretrievably broken.”
- Separation period. Before a couple’s divorce can be finalized, they must be “separated” for at least 6 months before the divorce can be finalized.
- Reaching a divorce settlement. Finally, before a marriage can be officially and legally ended, couples must reach an agreement about the various issues in a divorce, including property division, child custody and support, and spousal maintenance. If they can not reach an agreement, the Court will (eventually) set a Trial date.
How Our Norridge Divorce Lawyers Can Help
At the Law office of Gordon & Perlut, LLC, we understand how complicated filing for a divorce can be, and we are prepared to assist you. When you choose our law firm, we will provide you representation by:
- Explaining the law and your rights pertaining to it;
- Representing you in all negotiations;
- Hiring experts (if needed) to build your case and advocate for your interests;
- Reviewing all contracts and agreements; and
- Representing you in court if a settlement cannot be reached.
We will also be available to answer any questions you have, and will always respond promptly to your calls, texts, or emails.
Call Our Norridge Divorce and Family Law Lawyers Today
Divorce isn’t something you have to–or should–pursue alone. Working with a skilled lawyer almost always results in a better outcome than you would achieve otherwise. For legal representation that you can trust, call our Norridge divorce lawyers for an initial consultation. We will work with you to help you get everything you want out of a divorce settlement, reduce costs, and reach a settlement as quickly as possible.